Monday, August 21, 2006

Day 2 Missoula to Billings


What hits me as I am on the road in Montana is the variety of lifestyles people live. When entering the state, I thought that Weyerhauser must not own any land here because the trees and the forests are huge, just noticeably more mature than I have grown accustomed to in Washington. Sunday morning ride out of Missoula presented me with a view of expansive farmland, pastures and rolling hills. Rolls of hay fresh from the haying season are everywhere. As I stop along the way for gas (approximately 150 to 200 miles) you get a quick peek into those that live in the area. No Starbucks and traffic jams in these towns, and Dodge Ram 2500 trucks are the BMW and Mercedes from home. I learned that Montana is the 4th largest state and it feels like it from the road.

Arrived in Billings at the Holiday Inn Grand Montana at 3:15 p.m. this afternoon. Left Missoula an hour later than I had hoped because I forgot about the change in time zone. About 850 miles into the trip at this point and have had spectacular low 90's and no rain. I am so thankful to be able to take this trip.

Monday will be registration, rider meetings, safety review, and a band and barbecue for all 12oo riders of this event at the local Harley-Davidson (Beartooth Harley). I will try and capture the parking lot from the hotel or dealership party tonight to give you a perspective of the size of the group.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Miles- Sorry to hear you tipped your bike... hopefully it's OK.
Sounds like you're off to a good start meeting some interesting people. Take some cool pictures of Yellow Stone when you can.

Jim Lambro