Friday, August 25, 2006

Day 6 - Thermopolis Loop

Freedom, it is something that all of us in the United States takes for granted. It is like the air we breathe, and yet we are starting to realize that we can mess up that air with pollution, etc. I say that after spending almost six hours in the most wide open, unpopulated, untouched area I have ever been through. More about that at the end of today's posting.

Started out from Cody in the morning with the intent of riding to Thermopolis, WY and around a big loop of the Wyoming plains and a few mountain passes. When I got to Thermopolis is was aroung 10:15 a.m., and filled up the tank and grabbed a quick cup of coffee. I grabbed my map for something to look at, and while doing, decided not to head back to Cody. The plan was to be heading off to the high country of Colorado on Friday morning, and I was already 2 1/2 hours south in that direction anyway, so plotted a new route to Rock Springs, WY. I rode on minor highways down to 2 land roads for over five hours, and I didn't see more than 100 vehicles all day. The Wyoming landscape was so simple it was inspiring. Nothing except the occasional wildlife for as far as the eye could see. No towns, no buildings, no billboards, no exits, just a two lane mostly-paved road to ride with plenty of undulating curves to enjoy. One of the unique features to this part of the country is that it is inpassable during seveal months in the winter. Every so often you come across gates that are used to close the road due to the snow and wind that occur. It is not a place to be during the cold months of the year. The only negative to the whole day was for 2 hour period, the winds were blowing hard, to the point that I had to lean the bike to the right at an angle so that it wouldn't blow me over. Makes it interesting at 80 miles per hour, or so.

For the first time on the entire trip, I got nervouos about running out of gas. My tank holds five gallons and I get better than 40 miles/gallon, so I am good for roughly 200 miles. I had run hard for about 170 miles and there was some nervous moments, but ended up OK. At the end of the day I realized I hadn't stopped even once for a photo. I was in a different world on Wednesday, and it didn't even cross my mind to stop and shoot.

I dropped Sanity (my bike) off at Flaming Gorge Harley-Davidson last night to have them complete the 10,000 mile check-up/tune-up and to replace the rear tire. It was getting pretty worn and didn't feel like pushing my look as I head into the next stage of my trip. Plan is to be back on the road to Colodado on Friday morning.

Back to freedom. It is interesting what has been going on in my head as this trip has progressed. I think about everything under the sun, and more and more I am feeling the freedom that I have been experiencing, the ability to go where I choose to go, when I choose to go, with no restrictions or concerns for my safety. When I got to the room here in Rock Springs at the end of the day, I caught a bit of news what is going on in the world. Reality check strikes hard. When my head hit the pillow I was thinking that everyone on this planet deserves the freedom that we have here. There are differences to numerous to count between all of us, but we should all make our highest priority, to ensure that we each do all we can to enjoy our own freedom and to make sure that everyone else has theirs. To Freedom...

more photos coming, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good night, Miles!
(Does that phrase ring any bells as to who this is from?)
Your mom informed us of your blog, so we can now "travel" along with you.
Bob and I have thought of doing that ride sometime - hopefully next year. You (and hopefully Cheryl) could join us should you wish to experience the ride a second time around. If not, there's always Sturgis - lots of cruising to do there as well!
Keep in touch and ride safely!
PS: Don't feel bad about Sanity going down - everybody does it at least once in his/her lifetime - Hmmm....what does that mean?!
Candace (and Bob)

Anonymous said...

Freedom on the highway .. know it well .. hope to see it again

See you soon
LG